Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Irish people & people of Irish descent - a real question-real answers please?

The question I ask is of a VERY personal nature and I truly want to understand.



When I was about 10 yrs old, my mother met her real family at this big reunion. My mother is 100% Irish, blonde/reddish hair as a kid, hazel eyes, beautiful. During this "reunion", I was trying to hide from all these people I don't know, as any kid does, I am sitting a bit hiddin on a bench and two people I just met a while ago, who smiled in my face, kissed my cheek, pinched my cheeks, the whole bit, were walking by and stopped at the end of the table.



Well, they were talking about my family. They spoke about my father. They stated that he is Italian, just as bad as n******. They then refered to me. They said "she couldn't even be passed off as black Irish". I never have gotten over that and to this day, I only be-grudgingly admit to being 1/2 Irish. I did have dark hair, I have brown eyes. What the hell does "black Irish" mean? And why do they hate me?



Irish people %26amp; people of Irish descent - a real question-real answers please?

That was a very bad thing for you to hear at 10 years old.If you did some heavy looking into your family history,you will probably find more dirt on the people that were running their mouth.NO_ONE can hurt someones feelings like they did and it not come back to them..Hold your head high you have nothing to be ashamed of. MY mother is 100% irish and my dad was german,and I'm proud of who I am.



Irish people %26amp; people of Irish descent - a real question-real answers please?

I'm first generation Irish and my family would never say that (my grandmother was Spanish) remember the Irish went through lots of discrimination so they should know what it feels like you just keep your head up and be proud of who you are Report It



Irish people %26amp; people of Irish descent - a real question-real answers please?

K.. black irish are the ones with the dark hair and dark eyes. They arent Irish, but long ago, they mixed with the irish in Ireland and that is the term black irish came from. I am not sure what nationality the dark hair people are! Report It



Irish people %26amp; people of Irish descent - a real question-real answers please?

sorry,i don't know,I'm Hispanic



Irish people %26amp; people of Irish descent - a real question-real answers please?

I am of Irish descent and nobody in my family would ever say anything that rude or demeaning, so I would say it is unfortunately just that family that is ignorant. Don't let it get to you. You don't need that crap in your life. Just stay away from people like that and you'll be the better person for it.



Irish people %26amp; people of Irish descent - a real question-real answers please?

"Black Irish" is often taken to mean Irish people with dark hair and eyes. One romantic story is that they are the descendants of shipwrecked sailors of the Spanish Armada. Unfortunately for the story, it is very unlikely that enough of the sailors survived for their genes to be in the population visible today. A variation on this theme says they are descended from Spanish Moors who traded with people on the west coast of Ireland.



Another explanation is that it's common in Irish to give people nicknames based on their hair, such as Seamus dubh and "black Irish" is just a carryover of this into English. Some people say that the "black Irish" were the original inhabitants of the island and all the rest were just blow-ins.



As to your relatives, they're prejudiced against Italians. There's nothing you can do to change their ignorance. Love both sides of your heritage and ignore their comments. They're not worthy of your concern.



Besides, there's nothing wrong with being half Irish and half Italian, we're pretty good looking if you as me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
auto loan