Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Advice on ODD?

Are there any parents on here with kids that have ODD? If so, how do you deal with the frustrations? My son is on medication, but it doesnt seem to be working and I don't want him to be turned into a "zombie" with more meds? When he wants to be, he is the sweetest kid.......HELP!!! I'm pulling my hair out. (He's 7)



Advice on ODD?

sorry but what is ODD?



okay thanks. i have a son that is ADHD. if it is similar ask your doctor about a medicine called concerta. it worked really well with my son and it didnt make him a Zombie. no drowsiness. its really good.



good luck



Advice on ODD?

ODD is "oppositional defiance disorder". Its a diagnosis alot of kids are getting today. I think its very much like ADD. Its probably real, but its overdiagnosed. I don't have a child with it, but I know a couple of families who are saying they have children who do.



Its hard for me to offer you good advice. I just know twenty-thirty years ago that this diagnosis was not given. Instead we called these children "naughty" or "badly behaved".



I'd examine lifestyle and diet issues carefully. Do both parents work? How much one-on-one time is this child getting with you and his father?



Finally, take a look at discipline practices in your home. Are you consistent? Do you set rules and stand by them? What discipline techniques have you used? Do you ground, take away privileges, or spank?



When I was seven if I got out of line, mom pulled down my pants and gave me a spanking with a ruler in my jockey shorts. It was a rough, but effective way to deal with a misbehaving kid. I'm not saying this works for a kid with a real problem, but if you haven't tried it, you might, before medicating him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
auto loan