Sunday, November 29, 2009

10 month old Am Staff needs a friend?

My ten month old Am Staff recently lost her "playmate", our 13 y/o English Springer Spaniel/Beagle mix. I am looking for some opinion on a new playmate for her. My girlfriend and I work eight-nine hours a day. We would like a breed with short hair, great with kids(9 month old son), exercise req's must be able to be fulfilled in a strong game of fetch in the backyard. We would prefer a larger dog (Great Dane, Bulmastiff, etc). Oh and no terriers. I love my Am Staff but she is a terrier thru and thru. I do not mind a 130 lb lap dog but they must be ok being alone while we work. I can come home for a brief romp and potty break while she is a puppy. I was thinking Boxer, Mastiff, Bullmastiff or a Great Dane. I love the GSD, but the hair is too much for my girlfriend. Oh and we have two rescued cats so.....



10 month old Am Staff needs a friend?

Hmmmm...what I would do if I were you is to consult with a professional trainer and have your dog's temperament evaluated and ask him/her this same question...they would be the very BEST ones to make breed and gender specific suggestions on the best companion for your dog. They could see what your dog is like (energy level/behavior with other dogs/etc.) and help you best with their experience and vast knowledge of the different energy levels/temperaments of various breeds.



10 month old Am Staff needs a friend?

A bullmastiff gotten as a puppy and raised with your dog will be fine, since they will accept most anything as "one of the family". This includes cats, birds, rabbits,... you name it. Bringing a grown bullmastiff in might be a problem, especially if you know nothing about it. There will be no problem with your son. He will get a great guardian and companion in a bullmastiff. Do a thorough investigation of any dog you are getting. Be sure it comes from a line with good temperament... and good health!



10 month old Am Staff needs a friend?

Danes I think are a little less active than your Staff would be..a boxer would be the best choice I think from the dogs you mentioned..size and character...I have had Boxers and Danes and there has been a big difference between the two. Both are wonderful around children but the Boxers have more energy which is the bonus for your Staff. Great Danes arent really as playful,they are more happy to cuddle on the couch or sleep most of the day so this is why I say I would go for the Boxer..its the most similar out of the 3 breeds for your Staff and a fun breed to own.



10 month old Am Staff needs a friend?

what about a black lab?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
auto loan